Acheroraptor temertyorum: New dinosaur suggests migration from Asia to North America during the eve of the Mesozoic Era
67 million years ago a raptor named Acheroraptor temertyorum roamed Montana’s famed Hell Creek Formation. Prior to the discovery of Acheroraptor there was little evidence that dromaeosaurids (raptors) lived in the area. Known for the longest time only from its teeth, Acheroraptor helps fill out an already rich ecosystem complete with the terrifying Tyrannosaurus, the horned Triceratops and armoured Ankylosaurus. While Acheroraptor sharpens the picture for late Cretaceous biodiversity in the region, it also raises another fascinating question. You see, Acheroraptor is more closely related to a raptor half way around the world than it is to anything in North America!
A Curious Cretaceous Migration
When palaeontologists and co-authors, David Evans, Phil Currie and Derek Larson, studied the snout of Acheroraptor, they discovered that it was seemingly related to one of the world’s most famous raptors, Velociraptor. Interestingly, Velociraptor is found in Asia, in places like China and Mongolia. This development suggests that up until the eve of the Mesozoic Era, dinosaurs were still traversing the globe, joining and altering ecosystems along the way.
A Fitting Namesake
Acheroraptor temertyorum was not only found and co described by two ROM palaeontologists, it also shares its name with two great ROM ambassadors. While “acheoraptor”, meansAcheron Plunderer, “temertyorum” is a nod toJames and Louise Temerty, incredible supporters of palaeontology at the ROM and the museum itself.
Fittingly, the Acheroraptor temertyorum specimen will be on display in the James and Louise Temerty Galleries of the Age of Dinosaur into the new year.
Today we formally introduce Acheroraptor temertyorum, our newly described Hell Creek dromaeosaurid. http://t.co/XZhTGHI3eO— David Evans (@DavidEvans_ROM)
Beautiful illustration of the new dromaeosaurid dinosaur Acheroraptor, by Danielle Dufault pic.twitter.com/yVv4DRYFb8— Jon Tennant (@Protohedgehog)
— Steven Bull (@BullCBC)
- Evans Lab: New Hell Creek Dromaeosaurid Described
- RedOrbit: New Hell Creek, Montana Raptor Species Named, Described
- The Toronto Star: New raptor species named and on display at ROM
- The National Post: Canadian scientists discover new carnivorous dinosaur species Acheroraptor Temertyorum that lived about 66 million years ago
- The Dino Sirs: What’s New(s): Acheroraptor.
- Original Research Paper: A new dromaeosaurid (Dinosauria: Theropoda) with Asian affinities from the latest Cretaceous of North America
- Torontoist: ROM Has a Shiny New Raptor on Display
- Emily Willoughby: My rendition of Acheroraptor
- You can follow authors David Evans and Derek Larson on Twitter and learn about Phil Currie’s new museum HERE.
- Acheroraptor temertyorum feast on a Triceratops carcass while Tyrannosaurus rex waits near by. Julius Cystoni, 2013.
- Acheroraptor temertyorum recreation. By Emily Willoughby, (firstname.lastname@example.org, emilywilloughby.com) (Own work) [CC-BY-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
- Snout and teeth of Acheroraptor temertyorum. Royal Ontario Museum, 2013.
Written by @kironcmukherjee. Last update: December 18, 2013.
690 Notes/ Hide
- cucumberpancake reblogged this from troll-bridge
- dragonsmirk likes this
- troll-bridge reblogged this from romkids
- fighthempire likes this
- chaoticprissy reblogged this from dinostuck
- dinostuck reblogged this from romkids
- yamiaka reblogged this from geektresses
- geektresses reblogged this from mysterysquid
- masoassai reblogged this from scientificillustration
- liamswarblermilkshake94 likes this
- lunulata reblogged this from perokettle
- vulpinecyanide reblogged this from ennuiandapathy
- ennuiandapathy reblogged this from scientificillustration and added:
- perokettle reblogged this from scientificillustration
- haunting-of-hill-house reblogged this from scientificillustration
- birdicles reblogged this from troll-bridge
- huynhdows98 reblogged this from settlingsoulmates
- willnobilis reblogged this from afro-dominicano
- ericmichaelraj reblogged this from afro-dominicano
- octobig reblogged this from afro-dominicano
- rayghann reblogged this from screamingclassalpha
- letsremainanon likes this
- burkeshelley reblogged this from ewilloughby
- burkeshelley likes this
- smiileybluee likes this
- shadow01mine likes this
- eu-sou-manny likes this
- catcatcat83 likes this
- braindamagesince88 reblogged this from scientificillustration
- nhmy22 likes this
- practicando likes this
- zombiecheetah reblogged this from the-nuclear-chaos
- leacloud182 reblogged this from imaxinante and added:
- dakasira likes this
- cheshiregrave reblogged this from imaxinante
- cheshiregrave likes this
- welcometostrangeworld reblogged this from imaxinante
- popoisan likes this
- tedcofell likes this
- lavaquita-de-mi-payasito likes this
- imaxinante reblogged this from castrexo and added:
- grumpington reblogged this from scientificillustration
- settlingsoulmates reblogged this from afro-dominicano
- arcadianideal likes this
- curiosabiologia reblogged this from ewilloughby
- cinnamon-lady24 likes this
- raptored likes this
- fungi51fan likes this
- thegirlwithashatteredworld likes this
- tulkudreams likes this