Happy 2nd Tumblrversary!
It’s now been slightly over two years since our first post here on Tumblr. I originally signed ROMKids up with Tumblr for its ability to create and host content easily- whether it was amazing art created by our campers (like this stellar collections inspired mural), a featured gallery activation (like these Roman soldiers), or just something interesting (like dinosaurs at an airport). This was all supposed to be temporary, with the idea of migrating back to our website once it was updated. But this seemingly short term team up as turned into a full time operation.
So instead of rehashing all of that again, here’s some highlights from the year!
- ROMKids Goes Where: Our staff go on trips around the world and then write about it! Check out my New York adventure from June HERE!
- Regeneration Tour: Family goes on a one year tour of the world. The kids’ blog about it! Wraps up Summer 2014!
- Miranda’s Museum: The second season of this summer series, where staffer Miranda imagines pop culture through the eyes of her illustrated self. And lots of talking animals.
- Liz Butler Draws The ROM: Incredible artist draws, well, her favourite things at the ROM!
The rise of the guest blogger!
- Some of my favourite ROM archaeologists/educators have found their way onto the Tumblr this year, such as Daniel Kwan, April Hawkins & Robert Mason.
- Long time ROMKids staffer, and current Studio Assistant, Chris Miller has also made his mark on Tumblr. From his two #ROMKidsGoesWhere series, to his current long form blogs, his work is fun, witty, and full of content!
- Occasionally we take on a co-op or grad student at ROMKids, and part of their work with us is to blog. Last year Wesley and Rachel wrote some wonderful pieces about their time with us! We’re also seen many of mainstay staff step up and write, such as AJ, Mirelle, & Katryna!
Some of our favourite posts!
- This was the year of Chris Hadfield, and while he was up in space, we blogged about him down here on Earth. Check out some of our posts on him below!
-Reasons for Chris Hadfield
-A Few Final Thoughts On Chris Hadfield’s Gift To Education, Communication & Accessibility
- On the theme of space, while I’ve always been fascinated by the stars, this year I really fell hard for it. Check out some of my favourite space posts below!
-LADEE: 100 Days of Lunar Science
-Imagination Ignited: The Launch Of LADEE
- Any longtime reader knows how much I LOVE dinosaurs. So when we had #ultimatedinos here earlier this year, you knew I just had to write about it ALL the time! During #ultimatedinos final full month, I wrote a series called “28 Reasons To Visit #Ultimatedinos”. It was an ambitious project, that I learned much from, and had a ton of fun with!
- I’m perhaps most proud of my piece “Get outside with photography: Merging technology with nature”. Take your kids outside!
We want to hear from you!
- What’s been your favourite post this year?
- What would you like to see us write about?
- Let us know in the comments, twitter, or the ask button!
I want to say the biggest thank you for ALL OF YOU for joining us! It’s special to be able to take part in a community that cares so much about children’s education, science communication, and just generally awesome things!
Written by @kironcmukherjee. Last update: November 4th, 2013.