REASON 5 TO VISIT #ULTIMATEDINOS: SUCHOMIMUS!
Simply put, I believe Suchomimus is not only the most beautiful dinosaur on display in Ultimate Dinosaurs: Giants of Gondwana, but also, by far, the most beautiful giant theropod dinosaur known to science!
- Look at this lanky beauty. Such long striding legs, and strong and large grasping arms.
- And I need to be very real here, I have a thing for giant theropods with appropriately sized arms. None of this, “T-rex trying” business Suchomimus, does not try, it just gets it done. Like Yoda.
- The skull. There’s so much to say! It’s slender and it seems to go on forever. And when you get underneath of it, it’s barely there!
- The ridge of spines that goes along its back, just seem appropriate. Not giant and bizarre like that of its cousin the Spinosaurus, but majestic and becoming. Very regal.
I’ve spoken before about how this exhibit really helped me understand my deep love for photography. One of the greatest experiences I had doing any sort of photography was during the birth of this exhibit when we were installing the Suchomimus. Underneath each giant platform that these dinosaurs stand on is a steel latice, to hold the animal in place. I had the wonderful opportunity to get underneath this contraption and just take wacky photos. Most didn’t even turn out because I was so excited to be in this cool positon. I was lying underneath a dinosaur as it (figuratively) walked around. It was incredible and helped me appreciate just how giant these animals were.
- Suchomimus was a giant beast that ate fish. In fact, the Spinosaurids, were probably the BIGGEST land fish eaters of all time. This is great news for dinosaur educators because it helps show off that not all meat eating dinosaurs hunted other giant dinosaurs. If you can imagine a bear standing in a river catching fish with it claws and mouth, you can start to get the picture of what suchomimus would have looked like. Though probably less cute, and more, well, dinosaur-y.
- Its long arms and claws were perfect for grasping fish in running water, and its slender snout and long conical teeth were designed for piercing fish and holding on.
- The best piece of evidence that we have that these dinosaurs ate fish, is the barb of Onchopristis (a sort of saw fish) was found emmeded in the mouth of of a Spinosaur. How awesome is that?
Have you visited? What’s your favourite part of #ultimatedinos?
188 Notes/ Hide
- sharedvisions reblogged this from orianrise
- jadebee reblogged this from blackandbergamot
- blackandbergamot reblogged this from lostbeasts
- roflponed reblogged this from ecdysozoa
- richie-ace likes this
- gaive likes this
- sketchehkimmeh likes this
- ecdysozoa reblogged this from somuchscience
- armandsilvani likes this
- ecdysozoa likes this
- joe2theblogs likes this
- xx-the-dark-domain-xx reblogged this from lostbeasts
- jeancarlo09 reblogged this from somuchscience
- ezelacrosse reblogged this from 500fairytales
- ezelacrosse likes this
- sarw4n likes this
- starponywars reblogged this from somuchscience
- bonesofautumn reblogged this from somuchscience
- 500fairytales reblogged this from somuchscience
- somuchscience reblogged this from dendroica
- talikira likes this
- quietgreen likes this
- son-pereda likes this
- maitresse-atomique reblogged this from dendroica
- la-chasse-galerie likes this
- serpentinesibilance reblogged this from therealtsali
- therealtsali reblogged this from dendroica
- therealtsali likes this
- jenn2d2 likes this
- alexd86 likes this
- itsatrapocalypse reblogged this from dendroica
- awkueous likes this
- apatosaurus likes this
- slowburnindustries likes this
- philly-j reblogged this from dendroica
- brawnsandbrains reblogged this from dendroica
- brawnsandbrains likes this
- theinfinitemouth likes this
- z0mbiefo0d reblogged this from dendroica
- hiphiphurray likes this
- dendroica reblogged this from lostbeasts
- skinks reblogged this from joachimmurat
- karateardvark reblogged this from lostbeasts
- cutlerine reblogged this from kigurumiunicorn and added:
- calibreon likes this
- kigurumiunicorn reblogged this from ouiatchouan
- voodoo-mama likes this
- freedomdied likes this
- abundleofinspiration reblogged this from lostbeasts
- imjustwandering reblogged this from romkids